My wife and I joined two other friends at Anne Amie Vineyards to enjoy a vast array of sparkling wines. We don’t often find ourselves drinking sparkling wines, so we thought this event might peak our interest in some of the local purveyors and increase the possibilities of enjoying them more often as well as to fully appreciate all the nuances of them.
There were several wines, during this tasting, that I would have been happy to take home and only a couple that I really wasn’t fond of at all. I have put asterisks (*) next to the ones I thought were those that shown as Best in Show (IMHO).
Willamette Valley Vineyards
- They were introducing their newest member of the wine family. . . their Brut Sparkling. Nice fruit on the nose, very clean and crisp. A refreshing, quaffable wine.
- 2011 Rose’ – Nicely effervescent, and delicious fruit on the palate. This vintage is 85% Pinot Noir – 15% Chardonnay.
- 2012 Rose’ – This one was a bit more effervescent than the previous vintage, a dry mid palate and lightly fruity. 93% Pinot Noir – 7% Chardonnay.
- Their Blanc de Blanc is a Honey bomb . . .
- Rose’ Bubbles– Earthy nose, brambly . . 100% Pinot Noir.
- Evolution Bubbles – Surprising nose, tight and crisp. Nice budget bubbly.
- 2013 Rose’ – Great fruit on the nose, less effervescent than others, very soft with delicious fruit on the palate. *
- 2014 Blanc de Noir – 100% Pinot Noir from Umpqua AVA. Soft and crisp with a light fruit palate.
- I missed the name on this wine, My bad. It is 100% Pinot Noir and has a very unusual nose. To me, it smelled like food. There is a “meatiness” to it. Unusual , but pleasant. Light effervescence.
Elk Cove Vineyards
- 2011 Brut Rose’ – 100% Pinot Noir – Nice bright fruit on the nose. Crisp and clean mouth feel. *
- 2014 Gruner Veltliner – Earthy nose, tight and slightly tart . . not as smooth as most.
- 2014 Brut – Real nice nose, traditional flavor profile (Pinot and Chard). Crisp and quite lovely. *
Left Coast Cellars
- 2015 Queen Bee Bubbly – They use their estate honey as their second fermentation sugar source. And it really shows. Nice light honey on the nose. Nicely crisp and clean.
- 2012 Blanc De Noir – Very traditional flavor profile, a bit more effervescent. Light and fruitful.
- NV Sparkling Wine – 100% Pinot Noir – A blast of strawberry on the nose, though the actual flavor falls off of the promise given by the nose. Still pleasant, nevertheless.
- NV Brut Blanc de Noir – Nice fruit on the nose, Excellent on the palate. Very fresh and crisp mouth feel. A great option. *
- Xtra Brut – 100% Chardonnay – Light aroma, not as pronounced as the previous. Bright and crisp on the palate.
- Rose’ D’OR – A 70-30 Pinot and Chard – A light, subtle nose, very solid fruit and baking spices on the palate. A bit more robust than other entries.
- Brut – 60-40 blend – Traditional aromas on the nose, a nicely round and encompassing mouth feel, less tart than many others and the flavors linger longer. Superb choice. *
- Rose’ – This is unique . . a blend of Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier, and Chardonnay (78, 15, 7) Very nice berry aroma, and fruity mid palate. The effervescence is extraordinary. *
This is obviously why ARGYLE is THE place for sparkling wines.
- Brut – Nice aroma, but a very austere flavor. It lacks any finish at all.
- Rose’ – 100% Pinot Noir – Slightly earthy aroma and the favor is slight as well.
- Brut – Very interesting and pleasing aroma, Fresh and crisp with a hint of citrus.
- 2013 Rose’ – Very pleasing red berry aroma, good effervescence and strawberry flavor throughout that lingers at the finish. *
- Blanc De Noir – 100% Pinot Noir – The nose had the scent of pears and green vegetation. there was also a hint of yeast, a bread-like aroma and flavor that was really nice. *
- Brut – A bit like sparkling lemonade . . Quite unremarkable
Roots Wine Co.
- Brut – 100% Pinot Noir – Nice aroma, but a bit like lemonade. Nothing distinctive.