This is another one of those events that I’ve wanted to attend for some time, but there seemed to always be a time conflict. This year it was on May 7th and hosted at Seven Bridges Winery in N Portland. A total of 16 wineries were represented and each proffered 3 of their wines for consideration. So many wines to taste, I had to be strategic.
2014 Walla Walla Blend
- Cab Franc and Merlot –
- Huge aroma of blackberries.
- The mid palate was heavy and quite tannic with a dry, quick finish.
2014 Cuvee Pinot Noir
- Mild nose, slight amount of fruit on mid, good finish.
2016 Gamay Rose’
- Brambley nose, slightly vegetal aroma but also pronounced fruit
- Crisp and fresh throughout
- Robust nose with lots of dark fruit
- Mid palate is solid but finishes too quickly. Needed more length.
2016 Pinot Noir
- Pretty good fruit on the nose
- Mid is kind of lacking. No follow thru
- Nice nose
- No fruit mid
2013 Cab Sauvignon
- Decent overall
- Odd aroma, but generally OK
- Warm, suspect high alcohol
2016 Sangiovese Rosato
- Very nice, light fruit aroma
- Crisp, bright mid and a tart finish.
- Dark cherries and plums on nose
- Solid mis palate, finishes dry
2016 Gratus Bynum – White blend
- Riesling, Pinot Gris, Muscat
- Sweet fruit and floral nose
- Just enough acid to not be syrupy, but this is a sweet wine
2016 Clara Estelle Riesling
- Very nice fruit aromas
- Similar in texture to his white blend.
- Equally as nice.
2013 Prima Nata
- Bordeaux blend – 60% Cabernet, 19% Merlot, 11% Malbec, 8% Cab Franc, 2% Petit Verdot
- Loads of dark ripe plums on the nose
- Deep structure, loaded with fruit and very balanced
- Medium dry finish
2013 Cab Sauvignon, Echo West Vineyard
- Very traditional Cab Sauv nose, tons of rich deep dark fruit
- A nice mid palate but tall that fruit went away. Didn’t carry over into the structure.
2016 Gruner Veltliner
- Wonderfully bright nose, citrus fruits abound
- Nicely tart to peppery finish
- Great dark fruit on the nose
- Bold but supple mid palate, smooth finish
- Medium fruit aromas
- Smooth and silky mid
2016 Rose of Mourvedre
- God fruit on the nose
- Very berry-like
- A tart mid to finish
2015 Cabernet Franc
- Blueberry and plums with dark cherry nose
- Silky Mid to a Well balanced finish
- Dark and brooding
- Solid mid with a dry finish
2012 Les Garcons Grenache
- Nose is very typical grenache, loads of dark fruit
- My initial taste was WOW . . abounding with deep dark fruit
- Very deep and brooding.
2010 Ce Lieu Apres Syrah
- Good nose, and a much better mid palate
- Silky, smoky and smooth all the way through
- A triumph!!
2016 Sprockets – White blend
- A field blend wine of two grapes I’ve never heard of and one I have . . .
- 50% Scheurebe, 25% Huxelrebe and 25% Pinot Noir.
- A light nose but a great solid mid. Terrific patio wine
- An Alsatian style blend.
2014 Red Blend “Boyar Wedding Feast”
- This wine is a blend of 50% Tannat, 30% Cab Franc and 20% Malbec
- Jammy nose . . Very dark and luscious
- A bit acidic on the finish. . kind of like a port-style wine.
Saignee Pinot Noir Rose
- A light nose but quite a bit more structure than a traditional PN rose
- Another great patio rose
- Funky nose, just a bit off
- Good mid but unremarkable
2015 GiGi – Gewurztraminer – Pinot Gris
- A blend of 32% Gewürztraminer and 68% Pinot Gris
- A sweet fragrant nose
- A tight and tart mid palate
2016 Reflection Pinot Noir Rose
- Floral fruity nose
- Light and crisp mid
- but lacks fruit in the finish
2012 The Hellion – Columbia Valley Blend
- Primitivo (42%), Petite Sirah (33%), and Zinfandel (25%)
- Admittedly, one of my personal favorites
- Great aromas of deep dark fruit
- Smooth tannins mid palate
- A slightly warm, spicy finish.
2015 Cluster Fus
- This wine is 80% Mourvèdre, 11% Zinfandel and 9% Primitivo
- Aromas are bright and fresh, with hints of raspberry and plum
- Well balanced with a smooth texture into a dry finish
2015 Stolen Barrel – Cab Sauv / Merlot blend
- Deep dark fruit on both the nose and the mid palate
- Very solid structure and a superb finish
- This one has a remarkable story to it . . .
This was a great event that I will be anxious to repeat again next year. Cheers.