I recently attended a tasting at World Class Wines in Lake Oswego centered on Owen Roe wines. I had only recently been to their tasting room in Newberg and had only tried a handful of their fine wines. This was a larger ranging opportunity.
We started in one room with two whites and finished in the main tasting room with seven reds. I also had a fun opportunity to talk with Owen Roe’s National Sales Director about the nuances I was enjoying.
2015 Sauvignon Blanc
- Nice fragrant aromas of honey and flowers
- Aromas transfer to flavors on the mid palate
- Well balanced, moderately acidic
- No rough edges at all.
2016 Mirth Chardonnay
- Slightly citrus aroma
- More floral on palate
- Even texture, slight minerality
2014 Yamhill Carlton Pinot Noir
- Great fruit on the nose, slight smoke
- Silky mid palate texture, solid red fruit
- Leans slightly astringent, lingering dry finish
2016 Sinister Hand
- Blend of Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre and Cinsault
- Good fruit aromas, slightly brambly
- Tastes like Fruit Pie, raspberry, cherry, blackberry and baking spices
- Silky texture, Excellent balance
2015 Ex Umbris – Syrah
- Bright red fruit on the nose
- Silky smooth mid palate
- Good balance but leans acidic
- Quite mouth-watering
2014 Yakima Valley Red Wine
- Blend of Merlot, Cab Franc and Cab Sauvignon
- Robust aromas, bursting with fruit
- Silky mid palate but does lean astringent
- Lingering dry finish . . . begging for a steak.
2015 Cabernet Franc
- Robust fruit aromas, slightly vegetal
- Bursting with bright red fruit flavors, slightly spicy
- Super silky texture
- Solid structure throughout
- Dry finish
2012 Yakima Valley Red Willow Cabernet Sauvignon
- Lively aromas . . .dark fruit, a bit of chocolate, spices
- Velvet smooth texture, very plush and bursting with dark fruit and other complex flavors
- Truly remarkable
BONUS taste . .
2013 DuBrul Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
- It was suggested and I got “Candied fruit” on the nose . . . sort of Jolly Rancher
- Almost sweet aroma on the nose
- Bright fruit in the mid palate
- A milder but yet still silky texture
- Excellent balance, no astringency. Cooler vintage
I’m so glad I attended this tasting event. . . If I wasn’t a big fan of Owen Roe Wines before, I sure am now. Not a disappointment in the lot . . .in fact I was very impressed with their blends in particular. Looking forward to many more opportunities to enjoy these.